Heading to ‘Isa in August for Rodeo?
You’ll need to know where to stay!
This year the legendary Mount Isa Mines Rodeo is becoming a FESTIVAL over nine days in the famous red dirt of the Australian Outback, and here’s what you need to know about where to stay, because accommodation is BOOKING OUT faster than a world record barrel ride!
After a record-breaking event in 2022, which saw entries top out at 956, a highest ever purse of $300,000 and the staging of the first ever Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships, this year the new festival format runs from Saturday August 5 through to Sunday August 13, and includes celebrations marking 100 Years of Mount Isa.
Yep, the Southern Hemisphere’s largest rodeo just got bigger and better!
Plus, the rodeo rock lineup is buckle-blowing! Jessica Mauboy headlines on stage at the Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships on Thursday evening, then on Saturday night at the Mount Isa Mines Rodeo concert it’s Aussie rock royalty The Angels, supported by rodeo favourite Luke Geiger, and on Friday night, it’s The Screaming Jets and O'SHEA supported by Furnace and the Fundamentals. Oh, and the one and only Darryl Braithwaite stars in the Isa Street Festival on Wednesday August 8.
ALL THIS MEANS ACCOMMODATION will be scarce! Here’s the best on-ground options:
3 & 5 NIGHTS: OUTBACK GLAMPING EXPERIENCE (FOR 2 PEOPLE)
Glamping 3 Nights dates and Inclusions
- Check in 10am Friday 11th August - Checkout 12pm Monday 14th August 2023
- General Admission Festival Pass to Mount Isa Mines Rodeo (Friday 11th, Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th August 2023)
Glamping 5 Nights dates and Inclusions
- Check in 10am Wednesday 9th August – Checkout 12pm Monday 14th August 2023
- 4 day General Admission Festival Pass to Mount Isa Mines Rodeo (Friday 11th, Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th August 2023) and the Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships (Thursday 10th August)
TENT & TICKET PACKAGE – 5 NIGHTS
All you need to bring is your bag, boots and hat because everything else is sorted - 5 nights’ accommodation with a 4 day General Admission Festival Pass, plus all the rodeo action, rodeo rock concerts, live entertainment, exhibits, markets, and sideshow alley.
- Cabin style, fully screened and carpeted tent that you can stand up in.
- 12-volt lighting and walkway lighting between tents.
- Fold out bed/s with linen.
- Chair/s & table
- Shared charging station and shared amenities available at the campsite.
- Check in 10am Wednesday 9th August – Checkout 12pm Monday 14th August 2023.
- 4 day General Admission Festival Pass to the Mount Isa Mines Rodeo and the Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships Events entry on Thursday 10th, Friday 11th, Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th August 2023
- Access to all the rodeo action, THURS, FRI & SAT Night Rodeo Rock Concerts, live entertainment, exhibits, markets, and sideshow alley.
1 Adult - 5 Nights: $745
2 Adults - 5 Nights: $899
Powered and unpowered sites available.
Mount Isa Rodeo Festival highlights include:
Saturday 5th August: Bell and Moir Toyota Rodeo Arena Ball
THE MOST glamorous country hoedown, held on the famous red dirt of the open-air rodeo arena, raising funds for Mount Isa-based charities. Prepare your rhinestones and sequins and get ready to boot scoot ‘til late!
Tuesday 8th August: Isa Rodeo Hall of Fame BBQ Dinner
Celebrating the pioneers and champions of the Mount Isa Mines Rodeo with four new inductees announced.
Wednesday 9th August: Isa Street Festival featuring Darryl Braithwaite
A street parade for the ages in Mount Isa, headlined by the man himself, Darryl Braithwaite, who will pay tribute to the horses of the rodeo with his most famous song. SAY HI to the Isa Rodeo team at the Isa Rodeo BBQ Sausage Sizzle: $3 for old school sausage on bread with your choice of onions, sauce and mustard and all raising money for Ngukuthati Children and Family Centre, Mount Isa.
Thursday 10th August: Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships featuring Jessica Mauboy
- The second year of the Mount Isa Indigenous Rodeo Championships will see more records set, and indigenous riders celebrated, before Jessica Mauboy takes to the stage, with DJ Deadly Jacob hosting.
- A Welcome to Country and cultural performance by the Sundowners Kalkutungu Dancers and the spectacular Komet Torres Strait Islander Arts and Culture Dance Group.
- Cungelella Art Fashion Parade
- Don’t miss Dancing Dexter in the Red Dirt Arena, the crowd-pleasing Bull Fighter from last year’s Mount Isa Mines Indigenous Rodeo Championships!
Friday 11th to 13th August: Mount Isa Mines Rodeo
- Returning champions and contenders go ride for ride in the Southern Hemisphere’s largest rodeo and the third largest rodeo in the world.
- Entertainment includes The Angels, The Screaming Jets, O’SHEA, Furnace and the Fundamentals, and Luke Geiger
- The Shank Brothers return with their infamous Hot Chilli Wing Challenge - register for one of their HEATS!
- NEW – Bell and Moir Toyota Kalkadoon Bar & Grill for lunch and dinner – a new dining offering which includes a two course menu prepared by Chef Jason Peppler, beer and wine and outstanding views of the rodeo arena hosted by Channel Seven’s Kimberley Busteed and a bunch of good friends. Bookings essential.
- An incredible 5m high inflatable boot as part of our Kids Zone – perfect for rodeo selfies!
ABOUT MOUNT ISA MINES RODEO
In 1959, a group of people with passion and an intrinsic sense of potential formed the Mount Isa Rotary Rodeo Inc (MIRRI). Their vision was to put the new, remote town of Mount Isa on the map and raise funds for charity organisations in the new city. Through 63 years of whip-cracking vision and dedication, the event has evolved into legendary status. The event is part of the Australian Professional Rodeo Association’s (APRA’s) national circuit. The event is supported by the Queensland Government, via Tourism and Events Queensland and is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere. The rodeo schedule includes the Bull Ride (Open, Over 40s, 2nd & Junior Division), Saddle Bronc (Open & 2nd Division), Bareback (Open & 2nd Division), Rope & Tie (Open), Steer Wrestling, Team Roping, Ladies Barrel Race, Ladies Breakaway Roping and Mini Bull Rides.
Mount Isa Mines Rodeo FESTIVAL: August 5 to 13, 2023
The Mount Isa Mines Rodeo is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere
This event is supported by the Queensland Government, via Tourism and Events Queensland
For media enquiries, images, interviews and more please contact Kath Rose | 0416 291 493 | email@example.com