Monash University experts are available to discuss Refugee Week, with this year’s theme being “finding freedom”.
Explore Monash University’s extensive hub of expert articles and podcasts.
Professor Jane Wilkinson, Monash Faculty of Education
Contact details: +61 427 217 933* or email@example.com
*Available until 1pm Monday 19 June
Read more of Jane’s work on Monash Lens
The following can be attributed to Professor Wilkinson:
- Refugee education and achievement in schooling and universities
- What helps refugees achieve and succeed
- Socially-just education for refugees
- The role of schools and school leaders in building social cohesion for young refugees
“Education is one of the keys to successful integration of refugees.
“Success in education requires moving beyond deficit notions of refugee children
as lacking in skills and helpless victims.
“It needs to recognise the unique gifts and strengths these children bring to school from home and community (eg, courage, resilience in the face of adversity, multilingual skills)
and build on these. Only then will these students fully flourish.”
Professor Marie Segrave, Monash Faculty of Arts
Read more of Professor Segrave’s commentary at Monash Lens
Professor Segrave is an expert on the following topics:
- Refugee experiences of domestic and family violence and the importance of putting safety first
- Human Trafficking
- Modern Slavery
- Temporary Migration
- Labour Exploitation and Unlawful/Irregular Migration
For any other topics on which you may be seeking expert comment, please contact the Monash University Media team on +61 3 9903 4840 or firstname.lastname@example.org.