Media Event Invite from OMICO
Embargoed 6.00am 27 July 2023
Launch of pioneering national cancer genomics initiative will give 23,000 Australians best chance to fight toughest cancers
Date: Thursday 27th July 2023
Time: 12:00 - 13:00 Formal launch proceedings
(Potential for filming/interviews from 11.00am)
Event: Formal launch of initiative by OMICO and partners
Venue: UNSW Sydney
Michael Crouch Innovation Centre
Ground Floor, Hilmer Building
E10, Union Road,
Kensington (North-West corner of Campus). View campus map
Parking: Turn right after entering from Gate 2 (High Street) for metered visitor parking.
- The launch of the nation’s largest national cancer genomics initiative, PrOSPeCT* will give Australians battling incurable or advanced cancers, including ovarian, pancreatic and sarcomas access to the latest ‘cancer fighting’ advances, including personalised or ‘precision’ medicine.
- Over the next two years, 23,000 Australians, facing the fight of their lives, will have free access to genomic profiling (DNA testing of their cancer), clinical review of these results by an expert team and matching to the best advanced precision treatments available locally, including early clinical trials of new medicines.
- PrOSPeCT is being funded by public and private investment totalling $185M, including grant funding of $61.2M from the Australian Federal Government and $25M from the NSW Government, and a commercial collaboration involving genomics pioneer Omico, the National Computational Infrastructure at Australian National University, Children’s Cancer Institute and Roche Australia.
* Prospect stands for ‘Precision Oncology Screening Platform Enabling Clinical Trials’
- Professor David Thomas, Founder and CEO, Omico
- Dr Mandy Ballinger, Head of Cohorts, Omico
- Christine Cockburn, General Manager, Rare Cancers Australia
- The Hon Emma McBride MP
- The Hon Ryan Park MP
Australians accessing genomic screening and precision cancer treatments will also be at the event.
Please contact Anne-Marie Sparrow on 0417 421 560 or Nicole Birch 0423 916 330 at Cube for further information.