Sydney’s Central Station will be transformed to a bygone era with the return of the annual Transport Heritage Expo this October long weekend (30 September – 2 October 2023).
Visitors will be spoiled for choice this year, with heritage train, bus and steam boat rides operating across the city and unique experiences at Central station, including tours of the iconic Central Station clock tower and tea aboard a 1960s dining carriage.
“The Transport Heritage Expo is a rare and exciting opportunity for people to journey back in time and immerse themselves in our state’s rich transport history,” said Transport Heritage NSW CEO, Andrew Moritz.
“This year, we’re fortunate to display some incredible pieces from the State collection, including three rarely seen passenger carriages which were first introduced to the NSW Government Railways in the 1890s.”
Highlights of the Transport Heritage Expo 2023 include:
- Heritage Train Rides: Enjoy a 1-hour steam train ride to Hurstville and return, experience a vintage electric train or ride a timber-bodied railmotor on a tour of the Botany freight line.
- Vintage Bus Rides: Take a 29-minute round trip of the Sydney CBD aboard a lovingly restored vintage double-decker bus from the Sydney Bus Museum.
- Harbour Steam Cruises: Embark on a 45-minute harbour cruise on your choice of the Waratah or Lady Hopetoun – two 120-year-old veterans of Sydney Harbour.
- 1960s Dining Car Experience: Step aboard the Southern Aurora for an extended 1-hour tea sitting. Be transported back in time with a selection of freshly brewed teas accompanied by pastries, finger sandwiches and scones.
- Driver’s Cab Visits and Heritage Displays: Step aboard the driver’s cab of Australia’s most famous steam locomotive 3801. See a collection of heritage carriages and locomotives or simply sit back and take in the live atmosphere as heritage trains arrive and depart Central Station throughout the long weekend.
The Transport Heritage Expo runs from 30 September to 2 October.
Tickets are on sale now at www.transportheritageexpo.com or by calling 1300 11 55 99.
Tickets available for media available upon request.
Content: Key images are available here.
Media: Harry Stranger, Transport Heritage NSW | 0413 424 652