A trailblazing online Summit is drawing people together for "frank and fearless" conversations, and to address an unmet need for information and support for people experiencing the debilitating symptoms of perimenopause and menopause.
Hot flushes, weight gain, mood swings, night sweats, brain fog, sleep disturbance, period issues… these are some of the many challenging symptoms of perimenopause & menopause. Unfortunately, the menopausal transition is a journey that millions of Australians are navigating without the support and guidance they deserve.
World Menopause Day, October 18th, brings the menopausal transition firmly into focus. Here are just a few of the shocking statistics:
- 80% of women experience significant symptoms, and 20% of those will have debilitating hot flushes or night sweats, yet only around 15% are on effective treatment.
- Effective, low-risk treatments are available which can also help protect women’s hearts, bones, sexual function, independence and mental health.
- Around 1/3 of women die of cardiovascular events which are largely preventable.
- Up to 10% of women quit work altogether around this time because of the symptoms.
- Suicide rates are highest for women in the 45-55 year old bracket.
- Almost 70% of Australian women aged 40-65 reported a lack of sexual desire, and
- 20% of women find sex consistently painful.
The consequences of these debilitating symptoms can be far reaching, yet these things are highly preventable. It's time to break the silence and have frank and fearless conversations about perimenopause and menopause.
The “Menopause Uncensored” Online Summit is a passion project for GP and menopause expert Dr Kelly Teagle, who also founded the WellFemme Telehealth Menopause Clinic. “With Menopause Uncensored we will name, normalise and help manage these unacknowledged menopause-related issues. I’ve assembled ten subject matter experts who will share their insights, advice and guidance about how to thrive during the menopausal transition. It will be a forum for frank and fearless conversations, not just for people in peri- and menopause, but also those who care about them.”
Each session is carefully curated to focus on the biggest issues that women face:
Session 1, Mon 16th Oct: UNDERSTANDING MENOPAUSE, SKIN & HAIR CHANGES, GYNAECOLOGICAL CHANGES & WORKPLACE
- Dr Kelly Teagle from WellFemme
- Dr Talat Uppal from Women's Health Road
- Dr Ginni Mansberg from Don't Sweat It and Evidence Skincare
Session 2, Thurs 19th Oct: EXPLORE MENTAL HEALTH, RELATIONSHIPS & SEX DURING THE MENOPAUSAL TRANSITION
- Prof Jayashari Kulkarni AM from Monash University
- Todd Zemek, Clinical Psychologist
- Dr Margaret Redelman OAM, Sexologist
Session 3, Mon 23rd Oct: WEIGHT MANAGEMENT, EXERCISE AND NUTRITION
- Dr Angela Kwong from UpliftMed
- Eleni Georgiou from Tree of Life Nutrition
- Thea O'Connor from Menopause at Work
- Kirra Rankin from Capital Hydrotherapy
The summit will be hosted LIVE via zoom, with all registrants receiving access to the session recordings afterwards.
Menopause Uncensored: Online Menopause Summit
Monday 16th Oct 23 7:30-9:30PM
Thursday 19th Oct 23 7:30-9:30PM
Monday 23rd Oct 7:30-9:30PM
Dr Kelly Teagle is a GP specialising in women’s health based in Canberra. After experiencing the debilitating symptoms of a particularly early menopause herself, Dr Teagle sought to increase her knowledge about menopausal treatments. She soon realised the unmet need for quality menopause care, leading her to develop the WellFemme Telehealth menopause clinic.
Dr Kelly Teagle.