Road Safety Mobile Camera Operators Hit Back
An application has been lodged today by the Community and Public Sector Union - Victoria with Fair Work Australia for a ballot of members who operate mobile road safety cameras to take protected industrial action to win a fair deal from the private operator, Serco Asia Pacific Pty Ltd, who delivers the privatised service for the Department of Justice (DJCS) and Victoria Police.
The ballot should occur within the next few weeks to sanction the protected action by Christmas and over the summer holidays.
Everyone should be safe at work but almost every day a speed camera operator reports being attacked.
There have been 351 attacks recorded in the past 13 months and CPSU members at Serco have had enough.
If operator safety is Serco's top priority then you’d hate to think what’s their 2nd & 3rd.
This is a privatisation failure.
The system should never have been subcontracted out to a private company and should be government run.
List of Actions Proposed
- Indefinite or periodic ban in the form of checking, answering, or responding to communications and directions from SERCO management in the form of phone calls, emails, text messages and social media platforms, meetings, or other forms of communication, excluding situations where there is an immediate risk to health and safety.
- A ban on actioning or replying to emails, communications, phones while in the car in session. Any form of communication is only to be performed at the highway patrol, base or VSL.
- Indefinite or periodic ban in the form of performing training while in the camera car on the tablet. The action to have any form of tablet-based training to be performed at the base, highway patrol or VSL.
- Indefinite or periodic bans on completion, checking, signing, and returning of all court briefs both electronic and paper?
- The inclusion of washing the exterior of the camera cars (car wash) will be done at the end of every MRSCO’s shift.
- Indefinite or periodic bans on the completion / signing / dating / submitting of both pages of the ECOS/PDF (Camera Operator Set-Up Notes and Camera Incident Log) when requested by Serco Performance and Compliance and or Management or any other Serco employee.
- Indefinite or periodic bans on the completion and submitting / signing of the Gatso T-Series Mobile Road Safety Camera Operator Set Up Notes (Paper COS).
- Indefinite or periodic bans on the completion and submitting / signing of electronic and paper forms, Gatso T Series Mobile Road Safety Camera, Camera Operator’s Supplementary Statement both electronic and paper forms (Paper Supp and ESUPP)
- Indefinite or periodic bans on the submission of the Road Safety Electronic and paper-based Change To Speed Camera Roster form (ECTR/CTR) plus paper CTR?
- Indefinite or periodic bans on the working of paid or unpaid overtime?
- Indefinite or periodic ban on make-up sessions
- The action to include the of placing signage in front and behind the camera car for the duration of the shift that states for example but not limited to “Camera Car Ahead / Slow Down for Safety”?
- The inclusion of camera car operation sessions being conducted with the car’s hazard lights and headlights operating for the duration of the shift?
- Indefinite or periodic ban on swapping of camera cars either at Tullamarine or at highway patrols or Vehicle Storage Locations.
- Indefinite or periodic ban on the use of Co-pilot program
- Indefinite or periodic ban on Mentoring.
- Indefinite or periodic ban on assisting training,
- Indefinite or periodic ban on the swapping out and return of damaged/repaired car parts to suppliers such as damaged tyres to repair vendors.
- Indefinite or periodic ban on waiting for RACV or other tow truck or mobile repair operators at VSLs or highway patrols
- Indefinite or periodic ban on site audits
- Indefinite or periodic ban on any task as requested by Serco that is outside the scope of rostered camera sessions only.
- Indefinite or periodic ban by pausing of a camera session for up to 14 minutes for unlimited times during a session.
- An unlimited number of stoppages of work for the duration of 30 minutes?
- An unlimited number of stoppages of work for the duration of 1 hour?
- An unlimited number of stoppages of work for the duration of 2 hours?
- An unlimited number of stoppages of work for the duration of 8 hours?
- An unlimited number of stoppages of work for the duration of 24 hours?
CPSU Industrial Organiser
M: 0499 014 948