Ahead of Climate Minister Chris Bowen arriving at COP28 tomorrow Australian NGOs have sent him a signed letter calling on the Australian govt to make an initial pledge of $100 million to the Loss and Damage Fund.
It asks for this financial commitment to be made when he touches down at COP28 on Thursday.
Release attached, with quotes from:
- Rev. James Bhagwan, General Secretary of the Pacific Conference of Churches - who asks for Australia to back up its words with action around loss and damage in the Pacific
- Flora Vano, Country Manager at ActionAid Vanuatu - who gives a powerful account of climate impact in her home nation.
- Damian Spruce, Associate Director Advocacy at Caritas Australia - urged the government to make a timely and ambitious contribution.
- Susanne Legena, CEO of PLAN International Australia - who points at the disproportionate impact of climate change on women and girls.
Image attached of a team of Pacific climate action leaders meeting with the Australian Minister for Climate Change Chris Bowen on 28th Nov 2023. Photo credit, Caritas Australia.
L-R of that photo:
- Damian Spruce, Associate Director Advocacy, Caritas Australia
- Milise ‘Ofa’ Foiakau, Uniting Church, PULSE Field Officer
- Brianna Fruean, Pacific Climate Warrior and Youth Climate Justice Activist
- The Hon Chris Bowen MP, Minister for Climate Change and Energy
- Winton Herman, Cook Islands Climate Activist, Caritas Oceania Youth Alliance
- Olivia Baro, Ecumenical Youth Enabler at Pacific Conference of Churches
- Rev James Bhagwan, Secretary General, Pacific Conference of Churches
Tara Harvey for Caritas Australia email@example.com
+61 (0)484 002 021