Galan Lithium Limited (ASX:GLN), a leading lithium production company, is excited to announce substantial advancements in the construction and development of its flagship Hombre Muerto West (HMW) Phase 1 lithium brine project. This project marks a significant step in Galan's commitment to becoming a key player in the lithium industry, with production of high-grade lithium chloride set to commence in the first half of 2025.
Key Milestones Achieved:
- Completion of Pond 1 Earthworks: The earthworks for Pond 1 are nearing completion, laying a solid foundation for the next stages of development.
- Liner Installation Underway: The installation of the liner in Pond 1 has commenced, with 5% of the work already completed. This is crucial for the upcoming fill of Pond 1, scheduled for Q1, 2024.
- Evaporation Process Set for Summer: The evaporation process, a vital component in lithium extraction, is on track to begin this summer, aligning with the long-term production schedule.
- Progress in Pond 2 Construction: The construction of Pond 2 is progressing well, with 10% completion already achieved.
- Expansion of Production Wells: Out of the 23 wells required for Phases 1 and 2, 9 have been successfully constructed, surpassing the immediate requirement of 6 wells for Phase 1 production.
HMW Project – A Benchmark in Lithium Production: The HMW Project stands out as a tier-one initiative, poised to produce a premium 6% Li lithium chloride concentrate, equivalent to 13% Li2O or 32% Lithium Carbonate Equivalent (LCE). This project is set to place Galan in the first quartile of the lithium industry’s cost curve, thanks to its low all-in sustaining costs. With an initial reserve estimate promising a 40-year lifespan, the HMW Project is a testament to Galan's commitment to sustainable and efficient lithium production.
- Updated Resource Estimate: An updated resource estimate is anticipated in Q1 2025, promising further insights into the project's potential.
- Glencore Site Visit: Plans are underway for a site visit by Glencore, as part of their due diligence process, highlighting the growing interest in the HMW Project.
Phased Approach to Production: Galan's strategic phased approach to the HMW project ensures a steady and scalable progression towards achieving its production goals. The Phase 1 Definitive Feasibility Study (DFS) focuses on producing 5.4ktpa LCE of lithium chloride concentrate by H1 2025. Subsequent phases aim to significantly increase production capacity, with Phase 4 targeting 60ktpa LCE by 2030, including lithium brine sourced from Galan’s Candelas project.
Galan’s Managing Director, Juan Pablo (JP) Vargas de la Vega, commented:
“The commencement of the installation of liners for Pond 1 is another tick in the box for the HMW Phase 1 construction team. The team continues to push forward on all fronts as it aims to validate Galan’s lowcost, low-risk lithium chloride development strategy to become the next lithium producer in Argentina in H1 2025.”
Galan Lithium Limited (ASX:GLN) is an ASX-listed lithium exploration and development business. Galan’s flagship assets comprise two world-class lithium brine projects, HMW and Candelas, located on the Hombre Muerto Salar in Argentina, within South America’s ‘lithium triangle’. Hombre Muerto is proven to host lithium brine deposition of the highest grade and lowest impurity levels within Argentina. It is home to the established El Fenix lithium operation (Livent Corporation) and the Sal de Vida (Allkem) and Sal de Oro (POSCO) lithium projects. Galan is also exploring at Greenbushes South in Western Australia, approximately 3 km south of the Tier 1 Greenbushes Lithium Mine.