Skip to content
Government NSW, Youth

NSW child protection crisis means Minns Government must de-privatise broken system

PSA 2 mins read

With shocking new statistics showing that tens of thousands of at-risk children in NSW are not being seen by state government authorities, the Public Service Association is calling on the Minns Government to take responsibility and de-privatise the broken system. 

Media reports today show 76 per cent of young people suspected of being at risk of physical or sexual abuse are not being seen in person. 

The new data shows NSW’s caseworker vacancy rate spiked by five percentage points to 12 per cent between July and September last year, with large numbers of child protection workers claiming workers’ compensation due to stress and burnout. Hundreds of workers’ have recently opened compensation claims. 

PSA General Secretary Stewart Little said his union has been in  dialogue with Child Protection Minister Kate Washington who now needs to act fast. 

“Vulnerable kids aren’t slipping through the cracks anymore, they’re just tumbling through gaping holes. We need urgent and fundamental reform,”  Mr Little said. 

“Our members in child protection are telling us they’ve never seen the system in worse shape. They are stressed out of their minds and leaving in mass numbers.

“Private providers pick and choose which kids they take on, and often refuse to accept responsibility for the most troubled children. 
 
"Hundreds of kids are being left to live in scrappy motels for months, barely supervised by untrained staff. The privatised foster system has been left to wither and die. The terrible inefficiencies are costing NSW taxpayers more than we ever paid for the public system. In at least one case, an ‘Alternative Care Arrangement’ cost NSW around $3 million to provide support to one child in need.

“It’s not Kate Washington's fault the system is broken, but it’s her responsibility to clean it up. To the Minister’s  credit, she acknowledged that costly and inefficient privatised child protection services in NSW might have to be placed back into public hands. We now need the government to act.
 
“The government has a moral responsibility to care for the most vulnerable kids, and it is failing at the moment. The way to take responsibility is to stop outsourcing to NGOs, take control, and start getting qualified caseworkers back into the system. 
 
"The privatisation of child protection service in New South Wales was a grotesque experiment and it's been a grotesque failure,”  Mr Little said.
 
Contact: 0405 285 547

More from this category

  • Property Real Estate, Youth
  • 23/02/2024
  • 07:30
Council to Homeless Persons | Orygen | Melbourne City Mission

Victoria’s failure to address critical mental health royal commission hurts young people

Media release | Friday, February 23 2024 The Victorian Government has failed to fund 500 housing places for young people living with mental illness almost three years after making the commitment – a key royal commission recommendation. The landmark Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System recommended 500 new medium-term supported housing places for people aged between 18 and 25 living with mental illness and experiencing unstable housing or homelessness. In Victoria, in 2022–23, around 11,200 young people presented to specialist homelessness services alone, according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare’s new report. Almost half (49%) had a…

  • CharitiesAidWelfare, Government NSW
  • 22/02/2024
  • 10:35
Fams

INCREASED INVESTMENT INTO EARLY INTERVENTION IS CRUCIAL TO KEEPING NSW KIDS SAFE

The NSW Government has made significant efforts to address the chronic underfunding of the state’s child protection system, but to stop vulnerable children reaching the crisis end in the first place, we must invest earlier in children and families at risk. As the NSW Treasurer prepares the 2024-25 Budget, Fams, the NSW Peak Body for children and family early intervention services, said this is an opportunity for the Government to turn this situation around. Fams Chief Executive Officer Susan Watson said: “The evidence shows that early intervention and prevention works and is instrumental in keeping NSW children safe.” “We’ve seen…

  • Contains:
  • Government NSW
  • 22/02/2024
  • 08:06
EPA

ASBESTOS INVESTIGATION UPDATES

The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) investigation into asbestos contaminated mulch has returned positive results for seven sites in the past day, and negative results for three sites. The total number of positive sites is 54. One of the new sites is a garden bed, along the Rozelle Interchange, located between Callan St and Springside St at the Iron Cove Bridge. It has tested positive to friable asbestos. Transport for NSW has fenced off the site. Removal of mulch in the area has begun and is expected to take several nights. Six sites returned positive results for bonded asbestos: Children’s…

  • Contains:

Media Outreach made fast, easy, simple.

Feature your press release on Medianet's News Hub every time you distribute with Medianet. Pay per release or save with a subscription.