Skip to content
Building Construction

Workers’ lives at risk over Esso’s asbestos secrecy

CFMEU 2 mins read

Unions have urged energy giant Esso to come clean on its plans to safely remove deadly asbestos from retired oil and gas platforms in the Bass Strait.

 

The Building Industry Group of Unions (BIG), which includes the CFMEU, AMWU, PPTEU and ETU, is fighting for the full decommissioning of all platforms and associated equipment.

 

Esso has refused to detail asbestos removal plans for the rigs, which contain high levels of the deadly material.

 

Esso, which is due to start decommissioning up to 12 Bass Strait platforms from 2027, also refused to provide unions with the contractors shortlisted to deal with the asbestos.

 

The company said it would only provide the list after the contract had been awarded.

 

Separately, All Seas - a company with a track record of attempting to bring in foreign labour to work on Australian ships - has been awarded the contract for the heavy lift component of the decommissioning.

 

CFMEU National Secretary Christy Cain said unions would not settle for anything less than the highest safety standards and full remediation of the seabed.

 

"We have had enough deaths due to asbestos and related diseases over the years and we as a union will do everything we possibly can to ensure this project is safe for not just our workforce, but all workers," he said.

 

"Every year 4000 people die of asbestos-related diseases. We will have zero tolerance for any employer including Esso and All Seas that want to cut corners on these jobs.

 

"This mob should be held to account on their lack of transparency, and should work with the union to ensure the safety of workers on the job is paramount.

 

"Esso is failing its obligation to be open and transparent about the process, which is appalling given these platforms are full of asbestos.

 

"The company must urgently provide detailed information about the asbestos removal including where it's located and how much there is so we don't risk workers' dying from horrific diseases.

 

“We need absolute confidence the asbestos removal contractor is a reputable operator with the highest safety standards.”


Contact details:

Matt Coughlan 0400 561 480 / matt@hortonadvisory.com.au

More from this category

  • Building Construction, Emergency Services
  • 19/04/2024
  • 12:46
Same Day Trades

Same Day Trades Offers Essential Autumn Plumbing Tips To Australian Homeowners

Have you ever faced a blocked drain right as the cooler months set in? Autumn brings its own plumbing challenges to Australian homes. This article provides essential tips for keeping your plumbing problem-free during fall. Keep reading to learn how to safeguard your home’s water system. Essential Autumn Plumbing Tips for Australian Homeowners Autumn brings a change in weather, and with it, the need to prep your plumbing. It's time to get your pipes ready for cooler days - simple steps can save you big troubles. Don't Pour Grease or Oil Down the Drain Pouring grease or oil down the…

  • Building Construction
  • 18/04/2024
  • 13:00
Fresh Hope Communities and Nightingale Housing

Fifty-four small apartments, one big idea: Nightingale Marrickville opens its doors

A new era for housing affordability in Sydney began today with the NSW Minister for Housing, Rose Jackson, opening Australia’s most innovative build-to-rent housing…

  • Contains:
  • Building Construction, Energy
  • 16/04/2024
  • 06:55
CMC

POWER TO THE PEOPLE: BRISBANE FORUM HEARS HOW AUSTRALIANS COULD SAVE $9 BILLION ON POWER BILLS AS QUEENSLAND LEADS THE WAY

16 April 2024POWER TO THE PEOPLE: BRISBANE FORUM HEARS HOW AUSTRALIANS COULD SAVE $9 BILLION ON POWER BILLS AS QUEENSLAND LEADS THE WAY Community members, civil society and climate groups, and energy experts will gather in Brisbane on Tuesday to discuss Queensland’s energy transition, the key policies of the major parties and plans for community action in the lead-up to the October State election. The forum will take place the day after Queensland Energy Minister Mick de Brenni announced increased funds for the Battery Booster program, meaning a further 1,000 households will benefit from subsidised batteries. It also takes place…

Media Outreach made fast, easy, simple.

Feature your press release on Medianet's News Hub every time you distribute with Medianet. Pay per release or save with a subscription.