Skip to content
Childcare, Government NSW

*** MEDIA ALERT: NOON CHILD PROTECTION PROTEST AT 12.30PM TODAY ***

PSA 2 mins read

What: Child protection workers hold protest

 

When: 12.30

 

Where: 7-11 Bridge Street Coniston, Wollongong

 

Why: Child protection workers protest unacceptable risk to child safety in the Illawarra

 

Contact: 0405 285 547

 

Relevant Press Release: 

 

Child protection workers walk off the job over child safety in Wollongong

 

Child protection caseworkers will stop work and protest outside the Community Services Centre in Wollongong today at 12.30pm over unacceptable risk to child safety in the Illawarra.

 

Child protection caseworkers say there is a crisis in child protection.

 

Only one in four kids reported to child protection services in the Illawarra as at risk of serious harm (ROSH) are being seen by a child protection caseworker.

 

Right now if cases are allocated they are the most serious and will likely lead to removals, as there simply isn’t enough staff to intervene early so as to keep children with their families. 

 

The department’s own data shows for the quarter ending December 2023, 8,908 Children and Young People were reported as at ROSH in the Illawarra with only 2,006 children seen - that is 23% of all ROSH reports.

 

Child protection caseworkers report chronic understaffing and staff burnout.

 

One in ten child protection caseworker positions are unfilled in the Illawarra. But the vacancy rate on any given day is as high as one in five, often more.

 

The child protection caseworkers that are left are relatively inexperienced and coping with the extra workload of colleagues who have left.

 

One in two child protection caseworkers leave in their first two years of employment with the department.

 

Earlier this month child protection caseworkers declared the child protection system is now in crisis in New South Wales, and announced the commencement of an industrial campaign to force the NSW government to act to save thousands of at-risk kids from further harm. 

 

The Public Service Association (PSA), which represents the workers, says action will commence with a series of rolling campaign rallies across the state and escalate as necessary.

 

Child protection caseworkers are demanding Minister Kate Washington and the Minns Government immediately:  

 

- Recruit another 500 caseworkers

- Give caseworkers an immediate and substantial pay rise 

- De-privatise foster care

 

Premier Chris Minns needs to intervene, said PSA General Secretary Stewart Little.

 

“The most vulnerable children in the Illawarra are at risk of serious harm, or even worse, because child protection caseworkers are chronically understaffed, exhausted and management just aren’t listening to their concerns,” said Mr Little.

 

Child protection workers are now concerned that by exposing vulnerable children to a broken system they may suffer even more harm.

 

“Chris Minns needs to immediately onboard another 500 child protection caseworkers to address the attraction and retention crisis in child protection, otherwise the system will collapse.

 

“To be fair the new NSW government didn’t create this mess but it’s up to them to fix it.

 

Child protection caseworkers are passionate about their work, and they want those in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven to know no urgent child protection responses will be impacted during their protest, and that skeleton staffing will be maintained at all times during this protest.

 

“But they feel they have to do something as management just aren’t listening to their concerns,” said Mr Little.

 

Child Protection caseworkers will walk off the job and protest outside the Wollongong Community Services Centre (7-11 Bridge Street Coniston) today [Wednesday the 1st of May (May Day)] at 12.30pm.

 

Contact: 0405 285 547

More from this category

  • Energy, Government NSW
  • 23/05/2024
  • 15:01
Healthy Futures

Health Workers Call for Renewable Future, criticise Coal Bailouts

Healthy Futures is deeply disappointed at today's announcement that NSW Premier Chris Minns is extending the life of Australia's largest coal-fired power station. Last year, Healthy Futures on behalf of a number of peak health organisations in NSW, wrote to the NSW Government urgently asking for the replacement of fossil fuel based energy with renewable energy as fast as possible, and not to extend Eraring’s operations. The news that Eraring will continue to operate past its planned closure date, with public money, comes just weeks after G7 nations announced a historic and much needed commitment to phasing out coal power…

  • Energy, Government NSW
  • 23/05/2024
  • 10:32
Solar Citizens

NSW GOVERNMENT IGNORES NEED FOR MORE CLEAN, CHEAP RENEWABLES, SOLAR AND LOCKS IN YEARS OF POLLUTING COAL-FIRED POWER: SOLAR CITIZENS

Solar Citizens has condemned the NSW Government for undermining the urgent transition to cheaper, cleaner renewables, including solar, by extending the production of dirty coal-fired power at Eraring for four years.Solar Citizens CEO Heidi Lee Douglassaid, “It’s deeply disappointing that in 2024 the NSW Government is backing yesterday’s outdated, polluting technology and passing the cost of keeping coal-fired power open to NSW’s energy users.“While media reports suggest there is no upfront payment to Origin Energy to keep Eraring open, the community is paying the cost of a missed opportunity to invest more in rooftop solar, batteries connected to home solar,…

  • Energy, Government NSW
  • 23/05/2024
  • 10:24
Climate Energy Finance

COALKEEPER 2.0: NSW GOVT TO HAND ORIGIN UP TO $450m TO KEEP ERARING OPEN

Tim Buckley, director of independent public interest think tank Climate Energy Finance released the following statement on the announcement today of a 2 year extension to the operation of the Eraring coal power station on the NSW central coast, Australia’s largest. “The news today that the NSW government has committed to pay up to $450m of public money to cover likely losses by coal operator Origin Energy to keep Eraring power station open to 2027, 2 years beyond its planned August 2025 closure date, is the devastating consequence of a decade of government planning failure. “This is essentially Coalkeeper 2.0…

Media Outreach made fast, easy, simple.

Feature your press release on Medianet's News Hub every time you distribute with Medianet. Pay per release or save with a subscription.