Skip to content
Industrial Relations, Union

Monash University faces federal court prosecution for wage theft: 4-6 December 2024, Melbourne

National Tertiary Education Union 2 mins read

Monash University faces the Federal Court from 4 December after yet more allegations of widespread wage theft from casual academics. 

 

On Wednesday 4th December, 8.30am, casual teachers at Monash University will hold a protest action outside the Federal Court on William Street, Melbourne. Staff are asking the University to settle the case and return full back pay to past and present Teaching Associates who were underpaid. 

 

Federal Court prosecution

 

The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) is prosecuting Monash University in the Federal Court of Australia, alleging it breached the Fair Work Act by unlawfully withholding pay and superannuation from casual Teaching Associates. 

 

Public hearings will run from the 4th to 6th December in Melbourne. 

 

Background

 

Monash University faces court over allegations that it failed to pay hundreds of casual teachers for student consultations. Monash University is Australia’s largest university, with a turnover approaching $4 billion in 2023. 

 

Teachers at Monash University claim they were told to undertake scheduled office hours with students without being paid. The underpayments could run to millions of dollars in total. 

 

The case highlights the epidemic of wage theft in Australia’s university sector, with documented cases of underpayment now exceeding $226 million across the majority of Australia’s public universities. 

 

In September 2021, Monash admitted to $8.6 million in underpayments to more than 2,000 casual teachers; that figure was later updated to $10 million. 

 

Quotes attributable to NTEU Monash branch President Dr Ben Eltham:



“NTEU alleges that the University didn’t pay teachers for consult hours with students.”

 

“We say casual academics at our university are owed millions of dollars of back pay, and NTEU argues the University should admit it’s done the wrong thing, and pay its teachers what they’re owed.”

 

“Wage theft from staff at Australian universities now totals more than $226 million. It’s a scandal that shows how badly our universities are being mismanaged.”

 


Contact details:

Ben Eltham, 0422 987 538

More from this category

  • Information Technology, Union
  • 22/05/2026
  • 06:15
Professionals Australia

‘People are terrified’: WiseTech workers warning as AI layoffs risk jobs, capability and safety

Hundreds of WiseTech Global employees have demanded urgent action from management as AI-driven job cuts loom, warning the company’s approach risks both workers and long-term business capability. From Monday, staff will begin being told whether they will lose their jobs, despite the company not agreeing to redundancy terms beyond the minimum legal entitlements. Professionals Australia, the union representing tech workers, said more than 590 employees, over half of the company’s Australian technical workforce signed a petition presented to CEO Zubin Appoo last week. The petition called for fair redundancy packages, transparency and genuine consultation but those concerns have largely been…

  • Contains:
  • Government WA, Industrial Relations
  • 21/05/2026
  • 12:03
MEU

Workers shouldn’t have to pay for transition out of their own pockets

The Mining and Energy Union has welcomed news that workers at Premier Coal will not be left footing the bill for the energy transition themselves, saying it is an important acknowledgement that working people cannot be expected to carry the cost of industry change alone. MEU Western Australia Secretary Greg Busson said the announcement was a positive step and reflected concerns workers and local communities have been raising for years. “Workers should not be expected to sacrifice their own financial security to deliver an energy transition that benefits the broader economy,” Mr Busson said. “For too long, workers in regions…

  • Oil Mining Resources, Union
  • 19/05/2026
  • 15:29
Mining and Energy Union

Workers must be priority in sale of Anglo American coal assets

Maintaining jobs, conditions and safety standards are the top priority after Anglo American announced yesterday that they have secured UK mining companyDhilmar as buyer for their Queensland steelmaking coal portfolio. MEU Queensland District President, Mitch Hughes said that the sale of the portfolio was good news that reflected the ongoing value of the Queensland metallurgical coal industry. “We understand there is always uncertainty for workers during a transition of business. However, we will continue working closely with members throughout this process, ensuring workers’ conditions, entitlements and safety standards remain a priority.” “As always, we will continue standing up for our…

Media Outreach made fast, easy, simple.

Feature your press release on Medianet's News Hub every time you distribute with Medianet. Pay per release or save with a subscription.