Skip to content
Government NSW

NSW must drop changes to workers compensation thresholds

Unions NSW 2 mins read

The Government must drop its proposal to increase impairment thresholds to 31% and should instead find savings by clamping down on insurance companies, Unions NSW said following the release of a report into proposed workers compensation changes.

 

The report - released on Monday by the NSW Parliament’s Public Accountability and Works Committee - found that raising the Whole Person Impairment (WPI) threshold to 31% for psychological injury would disqualify people who are not 'fit to work in any capacity'.

 

“This report supports what we have been saying all along. People with impairment levels between 21 and 31 per cent need the full support of the scheme,” said Unions NSW Secretary Mark Morey. 

 

“Raising the threshold would undermine the scheme by disqualifying the very people it was set up to support. This approach cannot be justified and the Government must take a different path forward.”

 

The report found that the majority – perhaps nearly all – of those with impairment between 21% and 31% are not 'fit to work in any capacity'.

 

Mr Morey said proposals by the Opposition and others to make it harder for workers injured through sexual harassment or bullying to access the scheme should also be dropped.

 

“This approach is also wrong. We need a system that recognises injury and gets workers back to work as soon as it is safe to do so,” he said.

 

The report supported recommendations by Unions NSW to reduce costs by clamping down on the adversarial approach taken by insurance companies. 

 

“There is a clear way that we can reform workers compensation without ripping support away from injured workers,” said Mr Morey.

 

“Insurance companies are wasting more than $300 million a year of the scheme’s funds fighting legal battles that have no reasonable chance of success.

 

“They are bleeding the scheme dry and must finally be reined in.”

 

The report recommended the Government require insurers to obtain legal advice confirming a ‘reasonable prospect of success’ before public funds are used to defend denied claims, and legislate a cap so insurers cannot spend more than 50 per cent of a claim’s value on legal and investigation costs.

 


Contact details:

Charlie Moore: 0452 606 171

More from this category

  • Childcare, Government NSW
  • 19/02/2026
  • 13:07
NSW Early Learning Commission

Early Learning Commission conducts hundreds of visits in child safety compliance blitz

The NSW Early Learning Commission has conducted a comprehensive single-day child safety compliance blitz across more than 220 early learning centres. On February 11 more than 100 officers conducted unannounced visits at early learning services across Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast, and Wollongong. This blitz is just one example of the clear increase in regulatory activity undertaken by the Commission since it was established in December last year. Officers focused on the implementation of child safety reforms, including adherence to the requirements for adequate supervision of children and staffing ratios. Encouragingly, only around one per cent of services visited were…

  • Government NSW
  • 18/02/2026
  • 16:30
NSW Environment Protection Authority

CAROLYN WALSH APPOINTED CHAIR OF THE BOARD

Recognised regulatory, public policy, safety and governance leader Carolyn Walsh has been appointed totherole as Chair of the Board of the NSW Environment Protection…

  • Contains:
  • Childcare, Government NSW
  • 13/02/2026
  • 12:00
NSW Early Learning Commission

Bankstown early learning service shut down immediately due to safety concerns

The NSW Early Learning Commission has moved to immediately suspend Sunshine Kiddies Early Learning Centre in Bankstown due to serious non-compliance and safety concerns, requiring them to immediately stop delivering education and care. The Commission, which regulates early learning in NSW, has been investigating serious breaches at Sunshine Kiddies Early Learning Centre as part of its role to ensure approved providers meet their obligations to deliver safe, high quality early education for children. Key concerns behind the immediate suspension include the inadequate supervision of children, failure to maintain educator-to-child ratios and failing to report child protection concerns. The service also…

Media Outreach made fast, easy, simple.

Feature your press release on Medianet's News Hub every time you distribute with Medianet. Pay per release or save with a subscription.